No mapping

CissiCissi Member

My robot won't save the maps. How many times should I run it before it decides to save a map of the apartment?

Also, the maps from each cleaning ends up incorrect if I let it do more than a small part of a room, somewhere in the middle of cleaning it seems to get confused and decide to turn everything upside down.

Best Answer

• apjapj Member
    Accepted Answer

@Cissi said:
    ... I would like to make that carpet a no-go zone but ironically its not possible because of no correct map yet.

hmm - if it is not too much of an imposition: Remove the carpet temporarily and let the robot finish its work. After that you can add the desired avoid zone and put the carpet back in its place. Instead of removing the carpet you could simply flip its borders over to make it seen "insurmountable" to the robot.

Answers

• magnus_lindhemagnus_lindhe Member ✭✭

Hi Cissi,

The robot just needs a single successful run to save a map, but to account for obstacles that move - such as toys, bags etc. - you might want to run it a few times before the map properly represents all the reachable floor.

Do you have some specific problem area where the robot gets disoriented, or does it happen more or less anywhere? If there is a problem area, you could block it off physically once, so the robot can map the rest of your home and then you can mark it as an AvoidZone in the map.

If this doesn't help - could you post the best cleaning map you've got, so maybe we can see something from it?

Good luck with your mapping!

• CissiCissi Member

My kitchen is connected to tve livingroom, the station is sopposed to be in the right han corner of the map. The kitchen gets added to the right of the station but in reality it is on the left side of the livingroom.

The robot finds its way back to the station from the kitchen though, which indicates that it does know that the map is wrong...

• CissiCissi Member

And the second try today, when this screenshot was taken the robot was right in front of the station.

• CissiCissi Member

It doesnt manage to finnish and save the map before it runs out of battery. Today it didnt go back to charge, it gave up in the middle of the room.

• CissiCissi Member

Todays map, with kitchen and hallway blocked. So this is supposed to be a square room w the station in the right hand corner.

• CissiCissi Member

...and despite of the faulty map it found its way home to charge. But none of my maps is being saved.

• CissiCissi Member

Ok so this blue map is corrict, w kitchen included, except the station should be more to the right. It moved in the map about half way through. Im paying by m2, this mapping adveture is killing my budget 😅

• CissiCissi Member

And also, although the map is correct and the robot finished and found its way home it didnt save the map. And it didnt find the hallway which is ”above” the map.

• CissiCissi Member

I still have only had one successful run = one map which is not complete enough to do the zones i want...

Very annoying. Half of the time the robot does not find home, the other half it finds home home to charge and never starts again to finish the job. Once it started after charging but then got lost in an area that was already cleaned.

• apjapj Member

Hi @Cissi I can understand your frustration! What firmware level is your robot on? This should be visible in the "hamburger" menu - settings. The current version is 40.18 (with 41.10 announced https://community.purei9.com/discussion/510/new-release-41-10 )
    Do you have lots of thick carpets in your apartment? - The robot tracks its position by vectoring wheel rotation. Alas it can't tell (yet) if the wheels are simply spinning without any actual movement which lets it get "lost".

• CissiCissi Member

It is 40.18. One oriental carpet than the robot would have to clean from one direction to avoid jumping up and down on it. (I suggested this in another comment.) I would like to make that carpet a no-go zone but ironically its not possible because of no correct map yet.

• linda111linda111 Member

I'm having the same problem, it's not saving a map

• apjapj Member

@linda111 said:
    I'm having the same problem, it's not saving a map

Have you tried limiting the robot's range to a single room? (the one with the docking station in it). Maybe it will then be able to save a map which you could build upon as is explained in the last info page of the "FloorPlanner" in the app.

Yes I have done that still no map. I had a map which was all zoned for my house I loved it, it worked great until Sunday I put it on to do our bedroom and it went to the kitchen it did this several times so I tried to send it to a different room same thing kept going to the kitchen so I deleted all the zones and tried to make a new map but it would not save, so I then deleted the original map to start fresh and after of 8 hours yesterday of it vaccuming my whole house the map still did not save, is there glitch in the app

• apjapj Member

wow! you are fast! :) Have you ever completely shut down the robot? (I know, the old: "have you tried switching it off and on again" stand-in, but it just might do the trick.
    To do this, you have to remove the robot from the docking station and press the "play" button several seconds until it switches off (the display tells you OFF)
    Then put it manually back on the charger which will wake it up (lengthy boot sequence followed by "I am ready")

Yes I've done that many times even rebooted my phone thinking I might need to reboot the app

It has to be a glitch in the app, I'm devastated I use Salvatore (yes thats his name)everyday i have never had a problem until now

• apjapj Member

@linda111 said:
    Yes I've done that many times even rebooted my phone thinking I might need to reboot the app

I'm thinking that the problem is with the robot not with the app.
    "Disorientation" could be caused by wheel spin or another malfunction of the driving wheels.
    Have you checked if the drive wheels are ok? - I have noticed that the right one by the side brush gets its own share of dust and needs more cleaning than the left wheel.

I will check it today, but it is not disorientated it's just not saving maps. I'm going to move the dock today to another room and try that and see if it will save a map will let you know how I go. Enjoy your day 😊

So i cleaned him and got him to do just 1 room and stil no maps

• CissiCissi Member

Ok so the round finnished but it still wont save the map to floor planner.

• apjapj Member

@linda111 and @Cissi : Thank you for trying all of my suggestions. I have to admit though, that I'm at my wits end. Maybe @magnus_lindhe has more insight on what is going wrong here.

I'm going to try and give them a ring today, thanks for your help

Just an update I decided to give it a good clean including the long brush, filter and the casing and changed the small brush near the wheel, put it into a small room and finally it created a zone. Maybe it needed a good clean or a new brush I don't know. Thanks for your help I appreciated it 😊