New firmware 35.15 doesn't work

Got the new firmware today. Robot gets lost a lot. Never finds home. Throws errors. The map seems incredibly wrong.

Am I the only one seeing lower performance on the new firmware?

Comments

• Yep. Same problem here. Tried 4 runs since update and she cannot find home.

• It may be the case that you did not updated software on the phone. I did updated i9 with 35.15 today + the phone app. i9 had some problems finding home but eventually found it

• I have the latest certain of the phone app. All I've been pushed is the new robot firmware.

• @strats said:
    Yep. Same problem here. Tried 4 runs since update and she cannot find home.

Sucks. Worked really well before for me. Last night it drove back and forth 10 times over the same spot. Then went down the hallway, this never showed on the map, then went in to the kitchen and repeatedly ran into the fridge. This is when I just flipped it off.

I'll watch it some more. Maybe it'll get better but I don't see how.

• Just to let U know that i’ve scheduled another Cleaning just to test if i9 find a home using newest firmware. He found it very quickly now. I hope your i9 will get better soon. Call the Services Monday morning maybe they will help. The number is in the app

• I reset it. Then let it sit overnight.

I ran it again this morning and seemed to work better. Maybe just strange right after the upgrade.

I'll watch over the next week.

• Ill try a reset too. Looking forward to your rests.

• Let it run today of schedule and it got stuck under the bed and died. Never happened before. Nothing changed about what's under there

• stratsstrats
    edited September 25

Tried again today, interestingly enough, “Alice” made it back to the home base to charge, but after the second run, died under couch in the very room where the base is located.
    This software version is indeed flawed.

We are lucky enough to also have a Roomba 980 “Sadie” who’s approach to cleaning is more like a surgeon, cleaning in straight lines then around the perimeter of the room. This approach seems to work so much better than the “square at a time” method... even the mapping is surgical. (I’ll put a map up if o want to see one)

I really want to like the i9, but some big changes need to happen very soon.

• Yes, my map shows that it is stuck in the kitchen. there is nothing to get stuck on in the kitchen. I'll update when I get home if it is a legitimate thing to be stuck on.

The bot has never been stuck before. Twice in 2 days since the update.

• Turns out it had flipped a rug over on itself. Not sure how it did that, was the first time.

• Since this update, the robot only managed once in three times to get onto the charger. It's pathetic to watch it try. A few times it was actually switching off on the charger, then "jumped" forward, bumped into the charger cradle to start the brush again and backing out to retry.
    It's sad to see that an old Samsung robot cleaner manages to recharge itself without fail and this expensive robot can't.
    Even before the update to 35.15, the i9 only ever managed to recharge when the cleaning was finished. If I stopped the cleaning myself and sent it home, it failed to go onto the charger every time.
    I hope that one day the engineers manage to program the docking procedure properly... not too happy right now

• Mine is showing an error today. Third time it's thrown errors since the update. 0 before the update.

Anyway to flash the old Firmware back?

• So after the error I came home and checked the vac, just sitting in the middle of the room. I have no idea how to retrieve the error it threw.

I put the vac on the charger and let it charge. Once charged I let it run and it ran completely.

I'm starting to wonder if it only fails if started by the schedule vs manually.

• edited September 27

Today's run was a nightmare. First it missed rooms it has never missed before. So after it charged I turned it on manually and, even though it cleaned everything, it got itself "stuck" in the middle of a room.

I captured a video of it just spinning in a circle and banging into the wall. I was hopeful one time when it made it back to the hallway only for it to go back to the middle of the room and start spinning in a circle again.

I have the video and the encrypted logs.

I am now going to request that I have firmware 34 back. 35.15 is severely flawed in my opinion.

edit: I have now sent an official support email asking for firmware 34.

• There are a few separate issues being described in this thread. One of them is the robot that manages to park in its charger and then drives out again.

In this case it is possible that the robot has not made proper electrical contact with the charger. You can clean the charger pads on the robot and on the charging stand (they get dirtier than you'd think) and then have a look at the pads on the charging stand. If they appear damaged or discoloured at the point where they contact the robot, you should call your local service organisation and have them replaced.

Note that this problem can lead to the robot being found drained on the floor. If the robot doesn't get electrical contact when docking with the charger, it will think it didn't really find the charger, so it won't stay parked but will instead drive around looking for it.

This might not be the problem in your case, but it can happen.

• Sorry- forgot one more thing about docking problems. It's always good to make sure the little electric plug on the back of the charger is seated properly. If the robot bumps the charger out of position and the wire is tight, I have seen the plug get partially pulled out. This leads to the same problem I described previously.

• Ran ok last night. Check again tonight.

• I have been experiencing the same issue. I just got mine a week ago. It vacuums the same spot then goes in circles looking for the base when low battery and dies before it gets there. It has been running for 20 min in the same area. It goes back and forth turns in circles then does it again.

• edited October 4

a300ad. Yes, that's what mine has done on multiple occasions.

I will say, that the last 3 days it has run to completion. However, what used to take only 1 recharge cycle now takes 2 - nothing has changed in the home.

• Does the 35.15 still not work? Tried to install 3 times and the display reads SUPC or something. Should I just wait and update?

• If I could, I'd go back to 34. So, if you aren't having issues on 34 I'd stay there... But that's me.

I will say that 35.15 is doing better now. No idea why but Over the last 3 days I've not had the huge amounts of issues I had to start. Maybe there was an issue on the server side... 🤷‍♂️

• From what we can see through testing and statistics the new version 35.15 is better than any older version. That said, it does not mean that one individual robot my get some challenges from the new optimization. One home might work better while it could cause something strange in another home. The robot should work well in all homes and we always test every software very thoroughly before we release it.

There are always a number of things that we do or solve in the upgrades.
    The fine tuning of measurements and fixed bugs should make all of our robots better in every situation.
    The strategy decisions that we sometimes have to incorporate in the robots could however be perceived both negative and positive by users. For example we have chosen to be very careful when we see an electric cord on the floor as the robot could pull something down if it pulls on the cord. This strategy may cause your robot to sometimes miss an area behind the cord but it will at the same time make sure that a lamp is not scattered all over the floor.
    This is part of the reason why we like to have this conversation going here to hear what you actually think of your robots.

• My robot would not take the 35 upgrade. Tried 3 times. Seems to be stuck on 0% download for 5 hrs. Network is fine. SUPC reads on the display. Reset my robot and it luckily has 34 sw still and works. Probably will just wait until next sw release. Any comments or tips?

• @wickers77 said:
    My robot would not take the 35 upgrade. Tried 3 times. Seems to be stuck on 0% download for 5 hrs. Network is fine. SUPC reads on the display. Reset my robot and it luckily has 34 sw still and works. Probably will just wait until next sw release. Any comments or tips?

By "Reset my robot" do you mean that you restarted the robot by pulling the batteries out or a long long press on the play button (until it displayed OFF) and you had to put it in the charger to start the robot again?

• @NiclasK said:

@wickers77 said:
    My robot would not take the 35 upgrade. Tried 3 times. Seems to be stuck on 0% download for 5 hrs. Network is fine. SUPC reads on the display. Reset my robot and it luckily has 34 sw still and works. Probably will just wait until next sw release. Any comments or tips?

By "Reset my robot" do you mean that you restarted the robot by pulling the batteries out or a long long press on the play button (until it displayed OFF) and you had to put it in the charger to start the robot again?

>
    I only pressed the start button until it showed OFF. Probably should have taken out the batteries too?

• No, that should have the same effect.
    Try moving it closer to the WIFI router and see if that helps.

• @MartinKwarnmark said:
    From what we can see through testing and statistics the new version 35.15 is better than any older version.

Do you guys do any server side computation? I'm struggling to see why the bot barely functioned for a week after the update; then started running ok but missing room; then started getting all the rooms but taking 2 charge cycles; and now is fine.

Nothing in my home has changed. Something on the server side perhaps?

• Wednesday robot was stuck in an area it was never stuck. Made it ok on Thursday. Zero changes in the home.

• edited October 14

Since upgrading to 35.15 robot did not finish its run a single time. Stuck in the various places, in the middle of room, no obstacles, sometimes next to the wall). Very very disappointed - currently the robot is unusable. When are you planning next update?

Being honest I regret this purchase over the roomba.