Serious question. Is my i9 spying on me?

stvnzstvnz Member

I know, I know, it sounds like a conspiracy theory, but what images does the i9 take when roaming the home? With a fully functional front facing camera, and the rather erratic routes that it takes when low on power, I find myself looking over my shoulder at the i9 as it bumps into me when it should be on its way to the docking station in a completely different room!

Serious question though, what images are being uploaded for anything other than mapping an area?

Comments

• stvnzstvnz Member

Following up on my own question, and after some online searching, the answer to my question is actually not new and really quite shocking.

As everyone has the ability to search for the answer, I'll leave it at that

• NiclasKNiclasK Member, Moderator mod

Here is a link that I hope can give you some answers: https://community.purei9.com/discussion/comment/573

• mrmegadethmrmegadeth Member ✭✭✭

Exactly, it's not a video camera like LG. There's a dev post on here that shows the "bots view of the world". It's lines and squiggles.

• stvnzstvnz Member

With respect, it's 2021, there's a camera involved, we live in a world where information is the new currency.

I'm many things, but being naive isn't one of them.

But, hey, if you want to dance naked around your i9 then don't let me stop you.

• MartinKwarnmarkMartinKwarnmark Member, Administrator, Moderator admin

The camera on Pure i9 and 9.2 is adjusted to take pictures of laser lines. If you were to get the images from the camera it would be a very blurry person dancing. In addition we have divided the system so that a separate FPGA does all the image recognition and sends the processed data to the navigation processor. No raw data is ever transmitted from the product.

As far as privacy goes our system is really good, sometimes to the extend that it gets in our own way. We think its better to be safe than sorry when it comes to our users data.

Now that you know the product, you can take a decision on naked dancing based on fact and opportunity. However you decide, dressed or naked, you can be completely sure that we will never know

• stvnzstvnz Member

Thanks for the reply Martin.

I have two i9's, one upstairs & one downstairs. I'll keep my dancing out of sight and on the staircase between the 2 floors thanks ;)

I've also read that, in tests, the lasers used can also decipher speech to a 90% accuracy. Fact or fiction? If it's fact, I'll also have to stop singing.

If I'm honest, I wouldn't have had this concern, or done some research of my own, if the bedroom i9 hadn't stopped cleaning and commenced 'looking' for me in a different room. It should have been heading back to the base to recharge (in the same room), but instead powered it's way some 16m into the study, circled me, and then started tapping the chair I was sitting in!

I remain somewhat unconvinced, but appreciate your input.

• apjapj Member ✭✭
    edited June 9

Think about it this way: If your plan was to spy on the world would you have the robot's camera facing a wall in its resting position?

On a more solemn note: If you are absolutely as nervous as I am - and I thought, I was the only paranoid user out there - you keep the robot on a separate WLAN and switch that on only if necessary.

I know, it involves cost and labour but keeps the mind at ease 😁

P.S. By all means keep on singing!

• markTmarkT Member, Administrator admin

Hi!

Just thought I'd add to this thread-reiterating that the video signal from the camera (tuned to infra-red, since it wants to see where the laser lines intersect the floors, walls and other objects) is not connected to the processor in the robot, so no actual pictures are available for processing, storing or sending to anyone (including the development team).

The video of the laser lines is turned by separate hardware in the robot into some very simple straight line segments which are used to build a simplified 3D model of the robot's surroundings. This model is what the robot uses to find its way around.

Note that the map shown in the app is different to this 3D model- the map in the app is a simpler "footprint" of where the robot has driven, and it doesn't include any 3D features.

When the robot wanders into the wrong room, it is lost, so in a way it is snooping around, but only for a familiar landmark which will help it find its way home.

Regarding listening to sound with laser- it might be possible, but it would be very difficult with consumer grade lasers on a noisy, moving, vibrating robot vacuum cleaner. We don't have the right kind of sensors to receive the laser on the robot, either. You can pull it apart to check (but you'll void the warranty...).

Hope this puts your mind at ease a little!