Help during mapping

aojdahlaojdahl Member

Hi,

I'm trying to map my apartment and there are a two rooms that the robot won't find. Even though there are no thresholds and nothing else the hinders it from entering. Every time I start it over it just goes back to the same rooms where it's already been. And if I physically move it into these rooms it gets lost. Very frustrating. Is there a way to tell the robot where to look for new rooms? There should be some sort of exploration mode. It's extremely annoying when it cleans the same rooms for an hour, then needs recharging and then, when it's recharged, it starts over with the same rooms that it already cleaned instead of trying to find new rooms to map.

Comments

• apjapj Member

Have you tried positioning the docking station in one of the unmapped rooms?
    Please keep in mind, to remove any zones that you created beforehand, as creating zones freezes the map and keeps the robot from adding to it.
    When you start the robot from this new position it will eventually enter one of the already known rooms and hopefully connect the dots, i.e. add the new room to the existing map. If this works, put the docking station into the next undetected room.
    When all the rooms are mapped you can put the docking station back into its original position and (re)create zones if desired.

• frekanfrekan Member, Moderator mod

Hi,

I wonder why the robot does not enter some rooms, especially since there are no thresholds.. What kind of floor material/texture is it?

Good suggestions by @apj above.
    I would do the following (to avoid having to move the docking station around):
    1) Run a cleaning from the charger to get a map of most of the cleanable surface (which I think you have already done). Now there is map in the FloorPLANNER view.
    2) Place the robot in one of the rooms that is missing from the map and start a new cleaning from there. There is no need to bring the docking station if you are running firmware version 40.18.
    3) Hopefully the robot is able to exit from the room it had problems entering. If it manages to exit, it will keep cleaning and eventually recognize that it is revisiting the original map (the one with some missing rooms). You can observe when the robot realizes that it is in your stored FloorPLANNER map by looking at the live view in the app - it will appear beneath the current cleaning map the moment the robot figures it out.
    4) Either allow the robot to finish the cleaning, or if you have the possibility, just press home.
    5) If the robot makes its way back to the docking station and docks, the new room should be added to the map.
    6) Repeat from 2) for other missing rooms.

Hope this helps!

• aojdahlaojdahl Member

Ok, thanks! Will try your suggestion from 2) and onwards (i'm running the latest firmware). One more question though, how will the robot find home? Are the docking station and the robot talking to each other? I thought the docking station was a dummy and that the robot will only find it's way home if it knows where it started from.

• frekanfrekan Member, Moderator mod

@aojdahl said:
    Ok, thanks! Will try your suggestion from 2) and onwards (i'm running the latest firmware). One more question though, how will the robot find home? Are the docking station and the robot talking to each other? I thought the docking station was a dummy and that the robot will only find it's way home if it knows where it started from.

The location of the docking station is stored in your FloorPLANNER map as you can see in the FloorPLANNER view.
    So in step 3, once the robot has observed enough of your home to determine that it is back in the part covered by your stored map it knows where to head off to to find the charger, either when you press home or when it runs out of batteries.