Pure i9 Stopping Short of Charging Station

OwsiOwsi Member
in Q&A

Over the last week, our Pure i9 has started stopping about 30 cm short of the charging station. It will not roll onto the charger itself. It is perfectly aligned, but parks itself 30 cm away.

Also, when we put it on the charger, it often will not charge. The display just lights up with "Off". I have cleaned the charging connectors/pads on the charger and the i9 and it helps - but it seems I have to clean them every day now. Obviously something is wrong. Ay ideas or suggestions?

Answers

• apjapj Member

@Owsi said:
    Over the last week, our Pure i9 has started stopping about 30 cm short of the charging station. It will not roll onto the charger itself. It is perfectly aligned, but parks itself 30 cm away.

This might be the robot's way of telling you, it had difficulties while docking. After ten (or so) unsuccessful docking attempts the robot stops in front of the docking station to alert you optically, that something's amiss.

In this thread https://community.purei9.com/discussion/comment/2172#Comment_2172 @markT said, it might be the power supply failing (it should provide 22V DC, if you happen to have a multi-meter)
    It might as well be something simple like the little plug of the power supply come loose in the docking station.

You mentioned, that cleaning the contacts helps temporarily - do they look "worn" in any way? (like oxidized, scratched etc)

• OwsiOwsi Member

The contacts on the vacuum seem okay (some small pits).

The contacts on the charging unit had some sort of coating which, I just found out, my wife removed. It had started to tear, so she peeled it all off. I am not sure if this coating was to facilitate the connection between the contacts on the charger with the contacts on the vacuum.

If I clean the contacts with alcohol and fiddle with the vacuum on the charger, it will charge. When it vacuums, it goes through one charge cycle and then parks itself in front of the charger after failing to dock.

• apjapj Member

Thank you for all your work and the photos! The contacts look ok to me (mine are worse). However, there seems to be a front wheel (circled in red) missing on your robot which might affect the docking process.

• OwsiOwsi Member

Thanks for that. I appreciate your help.

We've decided to throw it in the trash and buy a different product. The thing has been a piece of crap from the start.

For the cost, wheels shouldn't be falling off. And for the cost, I shouldn't get an "Error: This email didn't exist" message when I send an email requesting support to the Pure i9 support email listed on the website.

• apjapj Member

I can fully understand your dismay! These tiny wheels are a big problem and Electrolux ought to do something about it - the robot is extremely loud on tiled floors because the wheels are too hard and too small.
    Do you happen to have some PTFE gliders at hand? This might be worth a try before completely giving up on your robot:
    https://community.purei9.com/discussion/178/how-to-prevent-the-wheel-noise-on-tiles
    These gliders helped a lot with the noise on mine.

• mrmegadethmrmegadeth Member ✭✭✭

Yeah, I've had zero luck with the support emails also. As someone in R&D, sometimes the worst thing to happen to a product is success. If upper management won't pay for support then the product commits suicide.

Hopefully your next product you'll like better. But, as for me, I've had every manufacturers' robot and they all suck in their own way*. The Pure still has the best value proposition in my opinion.

*Pun intended.

• apjapj Member

@mrmegadeth said:
    But, as for me, I've had every manufacturers' robot and they all suck in their own way*. The Pure still has the best value proposition in my opinion.

*Pun intended.

The Pure i9 is far better than the Roomba I had before, which mindlessly and quite heavily bumped into everything in sight, tore plugs out of outlets and ruined my Persian carpet :(
    I had to "feng Roomba" my flat to get a halfway decent cleaning experience until I finally gave up on the unit. The Pure i9 has some quirks of its own but is the overall far better product in my environment.

• mrmegadethmrmegadeth Member ✭✭✭

Neato can be just as dumb. Plus, my last one refused to stay online no matter what... Their customer service told me to change my internet service provider and to buy a new router. Yeah, just bought a different bot instead.

• OwsiOwsi Member

Is Electrolux even supporting this product anymore?

• markTmarkT Member, Administrator admin

Yes, but unfortunately our service organisation works in different ways in each country, so sometimes there have been gaps in the service provided.