How to get it to go in straight lines and then smaller squares?

stickanstickan Member

My pure spend most of the time to turn around itself, and then move around like a drunk person with no sense of direction. It's like no plan how to do the job, a bit here and there. There is a pickture in the manual on starting alongside a wall and then narrow in, how do I have the Pure to act like that and more systematic?

Answers

• MartinKwarnmarkMartinKwarnmark Member, Administrator, Moderator admin

Hi Stickan,
    That sounds like a very strange behaviour.
    Have you started it from the charger and is the charger placed against a wall?
    A picture or film of the situation would help to understand the situation that your robot is in.
    THe behaviour you describe is pretty far from how it just should work.

• stickanstickan Member

Maybe it wasn't exactly a wall. Have moved it. Let's see what happens.

• apjapj Member ✭✭

@stickan said:
    My pure spend most of the time to turn around itself, and then move around like a drunk person with no sense of direction. It's like no plan how to do the job, a bit here and there. There is a pickture in the manual on starting alongside a wall and then narrow in, how do I have the Pure to act like that and more systematic?

What firmware version is your robot on? I have noticed, that my robot has become more efficient with the latest firmware.
    You check the firmware revision in the app: on Android it's on the top left "hamburger menu" (the three dashes) - Settings - Software. The current revision for the pure i9 is 40.17

• stickanstickan Member

I have 40.17. I'm trying out different places for the Charger to see if it helps.

• apjapj Member ✭✭

@stickan have you / has your robot made any progress yet? - Usually I'm not at home when it does its thing - however, recently I was home and saw quite some turning as well. It looks like it's trying to figure out where it ist and/or where to go next.
    According to the cleaning maps drawn in the app and the speckless state of the floors it nevertheless seems to get its job done.

• stickanstickan Member

Still confused, but as you say, it gets the job done, however unnecessary much strolling around.
    I have 6 parts in my flat. There is no way to get it to clean it all and create a map of my apartment. I have to carry it around and lock it in, but then it can't find the way back.
    To add the rooms as zones and put them near the main map, no way, my Pure is smarter than that. Turning around and then back to the charger.
    By the way, if I carry it back and put it 10 cm in front of the charger, it can't find it! Strange?

• apjapj Member ✭✭

@stickan said:
    By the way, if I carry it back and put it 10 cm in front of the charger, it can't find it! Strange?

Try this: If you have to move the robot, stop the cleaning by a long press on the play/pause button until you hear two beeps. This will make the robot not only cancel the cleaning but forget its current location as well.
    Then place it in line-of-sight to the docking station and press the home button.
    The robot will do a full 360 and then head straight for the docking station. I got this tip from @magnus_lindhe and it works perfectly for me.

• magnus_lindhemagnus_lindhe Member ✭✭

@stickan said:
    I have 6 parts in my flat. There is no way to get it to clean it all and create a map of my apartment. I have to carry it around and lock it in, but then it can't find the way back.
    To add the rooms as zones and put them near the main map, no way, my Pure is smarter than that. Turning around and then back to the charger.

The robot doesn't understand the connection between the different rooms unless it can clean some area that overlaps its previous map. Can you start the robot inside one of the problematic rooms and leave the door open, so the robot can finish the room and then continue in the hallway? Then it can join that room with the main map.

• stickanstickan Member

Still, Pure is afraid of my bedroom. I have added the bedroom to the map, overlapping the room adjacent. It goes over the threshold looks around and then quickly runs back home. Maybee you can make it a bit more brave and curious so it dares to enter a room, and clean it? It could say " Hey, a new room, let´s clean it. But no.

• apjapj Member ✭✭

@stickan said:
    Still, Pure is afraid of my bedroom. I have added the bedroom to the map, overlapping the room adjacent.

Have you already tried @frekan 's suggestion to let the robot start a cleaning session from the bedroom? Once it wanders from the bedroom to the adjacent room it should recognize the already mapped area and connect the rooms.

• apjapj Member ✭✭

@apj said:
    Have you already tried @frekan 's suggestion

sorry, I meant @magnus_lindhe 's suggestion

• stickanstickan Member

If i carry it to the bedroom, it thinks that the station is where i put it, so it won´t return. It just is confused in the bedroom. Have tried to press button to a beep, same result. Have tried to add the bedroom to the map, it is clever than that. I think that the program should be that the Pure cleans every square inch until the whole apartment is done. Goes in to every room, and corner. In next update they could add to choose between random, along the walls, and third; straight lines and at the wall turn around.

• frekanfrekan Member, Moderator mod

Hi,

The intended behavior is as you suggest, that the robot will try to clean all accessible area (unless you choose a CleanZone cleaning). The robot is not restricted to clean only what is in the FloorPlanner map,
    However, on the contrary, it will be more persistent in trying to reach areas when it finds that there exists space in the FloorPlanner map that it has not yet been able to clean during the actual cleaning session.

Now to the issue that the robot does not seem to like the bedroom.. What kind of floor is in there, especially close to the entrance? Very dark material? Shiny floor? Thick carpet? Floor elevation?
    Usually the problem would be too tall a threshold, but in your case it seems like the robot decides it cannot go further into the room even when it has managed to go inside.

Thanks,