Does the robot learn my home?

One of the most common questions we get from interested users, is if the robot learns over time how your home looks.

The answer is that if the robot needs to recharge to finish the cleaning, it keeps the map in its memory so it can continue where it left off. But as soon as the cleaning is done and the robot is back in the charger, it erases the map. So each cleaning starts from scratch.

We chose this to avoid problems if a home changes (things move, doors open or close etc.) and the robot tries to act on old information. Also, the robot anyways has to do a good job on the first cleaning, so we needed a general strategy that doesn’t depend on any stored information.

Comments

• This was a terrible decision. If I have guests coming for dinner on a last minute, I should be able to utilize geo-fencing to instruct my robot to clean the "living room and kitchen." Had I know this was a conscious design decision, I would have selected a device that supports geo-fencing. I love my Purei9, but this knowledge would have led to a different decision. This was a very short sighted decision.

• I agree!

• Thanks for voicing this feature request - that's a big part of why we have a community like this! And to clarify: It was a design decision not to include geo-fencing at launch, but the software design doesn't prevent us from adding it later, if enough users think that it's an important feature.

• I agree with the other posters here, that would be a nice function.

• It would be great if this can draw a floor plan of my home and for minimum save it (just the floor plan, edges of room) and use it in app so I can check where pure i9 is going at the moment.

Maybe you can use this to room function or even if it erases it's memory between sessions I can check from map where exactly it has been and for example estimate if I need to restart cleaning session later. This is something I miss if I compare this to other models.

I compered a lot of models and I choose pure i9 because it seems to recognize obstacles better than others and hit them less often. Decision would been easier if this can draw floor plans for example like Xiami and Neato does.

• @vesas said:
    It would be great if this can draw a floor plan of my home and for minimum save it (just the floor plan, edges of room) and use it in app so I can check where pure i9 is going at the moment.

Maybe you can use this to room function or even if it erases it's memory between sessions I can check from map where exactly it has been and for example estimate if I need to restart cleaning session later. This is something I miss if I compare this to other models.

Hi,
    Maybe I misunderstand you, but that sounds like the map plotting function that we already have. In the app, you can see a map of where the robot currently is and where it has cleaned. And the latest 8 cleaning maps are saved in a history list, so you can see if it has missed anything. Is that enough to solve what you describe?

• @magnus_lindhe said:

@vesas said:
    It would be great if this can draw a floor plan of my home and for minimum save it (just the floor plan, edges of room) and use it in app so I can check where pure i9 is going at the moment.

Hi,
    Maybe I misunderstand you, but that sounds like the map plotting function that we already have. In the app, you can see a map of where the robot currently is and where it has cleaned. And the latest 8 cleaning maps are saved in a history list, so you can see if it has missed anything. Is that enough to solve what you describe?

Hi,

Thank you for your answer.

This map plotting function is good at the moment already. I mean that if I can see edges of the room, then I see exactly where robot has been. For example robot cleaned 2/3 of our lobby. The area looked ok from map plotting but when I came home I saw area where were dust left and robot havent been there. Area is like a rectangle so it was almost impossible to see missing part from current map plotting. Reason for robot missed that part might be that I cancelled cleaning too early when we had visitors coming and it failed to do second pass but anyway.

Maybe I will get used to check map plotting more accurately, but those room boundarys would make my life a little bit easier and hopefully this feature could be used for "geo-fencing" feature :wink:

This picture below is something I mean. Robot's path should not be so accurete as in picture, it could paint the area like it does now.

• Aha, I get it, thanks! Others have also commented that they would like to see the walls in the map, to make it easier to relate the cleaned area to the whole floor plan. We'll see if/when that addition makes it to the top of our priority list.

In the mean time, I've found that once the robot enters a room, it normally does a good job cleaning all the area it can reach, so I mainly use the history maps to see which rooms it got into, and which were blocked by toys or closed doors. Then I can make sure to clear the passage to that room the next time, so it gets cleaned.

• Geo fencing is the one feature that is needed. I want to be able to restrict areas of cleaning through the app. Otherwise, great item!!

• I'm looking to replace my Neato D85 with a new and better robot. I have of course looked at Neato D7 that is their top model and the Pure i9. I really want to go for the Pure i9 because of its size and from what I understand can handle dust in corners even better than Neato. The only thing I miss is geo fencing so that I can avoid carpets that probably will get the robot to get stuck and the ability to send it to a specific room.

So, please add geo fencing, just give me a thumbs up that you are working on it or I'll have to get a robot that already has that feature.

• edited November 2018

Dear Cokeisit,
    Our robot will avoid carpets that are very thick (height over ~22 mm). It will also do a check of carpets that are below said 22 mm but above 15 mm. Pure i9 will after climbing on to the carpet do a 360 spin to feel the drive resistance of the carpet. If it is within drivable values the robot will clean the carpet. Otherwise it will climb down again and continue with the rest of the cleaning.

On upgrading I can only reveal that our coming updates will be available to all the robots already sold, valid for at least the coming years.
    As far as specific functions I can not tell you of the plan.
    I would buy a Pure i9 :)

Best regards
    Martin

• @MartinKwarnmark said:
    I would buy a Pure i9 :)

Best regards
    Martin

OK, den är nu beställd :)

• Kul :)
    Hoppas att du blir nöjd!

• I would really love to see that behaviour changed in the near future. Let the robot keep a blueprint of the flat would enable so many very useful features....

• Virtual barriers
    • Clean room X (and Y)

• Voice control for smart homes to clean room X
    • etc.

I don't quite understand why it has to be a problem, if some obstacles in the rooms itself change position. This is only about remembering the rooms itself, the blueprint of the flat (and that is very unlikely to change IMHO ;-) )
    Of course the robot has to clean every room itself "from scratch" - meaning that it has to assume, that there can be an obstacle anywhere within that room.

Once again, I would really, really appreciate to be able to tell my robot "clean the living room". And from a technical point of view that is feasible if you ask me. Almost anything is possible when developing SW, that is the beauty of it, we can just create what we want ;-)

Interesting would also be an option to feed the robot a real blueprint initially... or later edit the robots blueprint, at least be able to set labels for the rooms and and and....

• Valentina.
    I bought this Pure i9 robot 2 days ago and I really like it, but I would also like to "geo-fencing" like many other people wrote about it. It would be very excellent. Sometimes you want to run the robot in a special place and this function is necessary. And I would also like to have voice control. And if it is possible that there were different languages, not only English. I speak English poorly and I would like to manage the work in my native language (Russian).And there is one more suggestion to improve this robot. In my house there is a metal plate on the floor between the living room and the kitchen, and the transition from the Carpet to the wooden floor. And the robot does not go through this metal plate and my kitchen always remains not cleaned. Anyone can answer this question?

• magnus_lindhemagnus_lindhe ✭✭
    edited January 7

Hi, congratulations on getting a Pure i9!

I just wanted to mention that we do have voice control, through IFTTT. If you have Google Home or Alexa, you can make an applet so that IFTTT connects a spoken phrase to trigger a behavior (start/stop/go home) in the Pure i9. Not sure if GH or Alexa support Russian right now, though.

About the metal plate, could you post a picture of it? Then we might be able to comment better. Please take one close shot and one of the surroundings.

• @tinas64 said:
    Valentina.
    I bought this Pure i9 robot 2 days ago and I really like it, but I would also like to "geo-fencing" like many other people wrote about it. It would be very excellent. Sometimes you want to run the robot in a special place and this function is necessary. And I would also like to have voice control. And if it is possible that there were different languages, not only English. I speak English poorly and I would like to manage the work in my native language (Russian).And there is one more suggestion to improve this robot. In my house there is a metal plate on the floor between the living room and the kitchen, and the transition from the Carpet to the wooden floor. And the robot does not go through this metal plate and my kitchen always remains not cleaned. Anyone can answer this question?

Валентина, I hope you'll love your new robot as I love mine. Apple’s Siri and Google Home support Russian. Alexa does not. And do not forget that the robot can speak Russian as well ;)

For this other thing, I would suggest trying to start your robot from the kitchen where you have the hard-wooden floor. Somehow it is easier for the robot to go from wooden floors to the carpet than another way around...

• And what is the guarantee of this vacuum cleaner? And is it possible to buy a guarantee for this robot more as in other vacuum cleaners for 3-5 years? If so, where can I buy?

• I noticed too that the purei9 has very low threshold and it skip even a low floor mat. It should try harder.

@tinas64 said:
    Valentina.
    I bought this Pure i9 robot 2 days ago and I really like it, but I would also like to "geo-fencing" like many other people wrote about it. It would be very excellent. Sometimes you want to run the robot in a special place and this function is necessary. And I would also like to have voice control. And if it is possible that there were different languages, not only English. I speak English poorly and I would like to manage the work in my native language (Russian).And there is one more suggestion to improve this robot. In my house there is a metal plate on the floor between the living room and the kitchen, and the transition from the Carpet to the wooden floor. And the robot does not go through this metal plate and my kitchen always remains not cleaned.

• the solution is fairly simple - update the device to cater for geo-fencing. Update the app to allow users to select whether they want to use geo-fencing or not. This will allow those who want to use geo-fencing to set up geo-fencing and advanced options while others can simply continue using the robot as is.

I for one would be grateful if I could geo-fence then setup zones and separate cleaning schedules for each zone, etc.

• My robot only has 10 days for me and the battery is already enough for only half an hour. And in the first 3-4 days the robot worked for 1 hour then 40 minutes and now only 30 minutes. And what will happen next? Tell someone how much the battery works? Maybe in my robot a battery with a defect that discharges so quickly? The robot is new and the battery is weak. What is the warranty on the battery?

• Hi Tinas64,
    You have a longer guarantee than 10 days on the batteries that is for sure. The run time should not go done so drastically as you describe. Usually the robot works for around 60 min in ECO mode and around 40 min in full power mode. The runtime may vary if the robot is running on tough carpets the runtime may be lower as the resistance is greater while driving and spinning the brush roll.
    Are you using the robot in the same mode as before? Has the environment changed?
    After knowing the answer to above we could recommend an action.
    @klint What do you think of Tinas64s battery issue?

• my robot works the same every day. all the same carpets and the same place it removes and nothing has changed, but the cleaning time has changed from 60 minutes to 30 minutes, which is a lot in such a short time. Therefore, I worry. I have a home one more robot"Proscenic"790 and it works 100 minutes. It is a very long time. Could you upgrade your batteries for longer? it would be great.And so it turns out that my robot cleans my house all day. It can only vacuum the entire house 3-4 times, it needs to recharge 2-3 times. And it all takes a lot of time.

• Hi tinas64,
    The degradation is larger than should be expected. Please contact customer support about new batteries. The number can be found in the application.

The prosenic has from what I know the same battery capacity as Pure i9 has. The runtime than comes down to how the robots use that capacity. Purei i9 has a focus on cleaning performance before keeping the runtime longer. So the dust pick up of every run is a lot better with Pure i9 than most other robots. That being said we hear that you would like to have longer runtime and that many are happy with lower cleaning results. We are taking those inputs in to consideration for our development.
    What I also read in to your feedback is that it is actually the charging time that is annoying so to make that faster is also part of what I take with me.
    Thanks for your feedback!

• Im agree too.

• I enjoy both, effective cleaning sometime and eco for faster overall cleaning at other times. It's good to have the choice like today with eco/normal

• __I wrote in support already 2 times but there is no answer. You have very bad support service, it’s hard to get there. My robot stopped half a way and turns in one place as if looking for something, and then stops completely. what happened to the robot as if the robot was losing the map of my house often began to wander looking for its station.And often began to clean the same place 2 times and other places began to pass and began to stop for no reason.Something happened to the robot Please help me get to the support to replace my robot. I really like this robot.

• Hi Tinas64,
    In which country are you located? That info will help us in helping with the suport contact

• __I live in USA in state Washington