Does the robot learn my home?

One of the most common questions we get from interested users, is if the robot learns over time how your home looks.

The answer is that if the robot needs to recharge to finish the cleaning, it keeps the map in its memory so it can continue where it left off. But as soon as the cleaning is done and the robot is back in the charger, it erases the map. So each cleaning starts from scratch.

We chose this to avoid problems if a home changes (things move, doors open or close etc.) and the robot tries to act on old information. Also, the robot anyways has to do a good job on the first cleaning, so we needed a general strategy that doesn’t depend on any stored information.

Comments

• This was a terrible decision. If I have guests coming for dinner on a last minute, I should be able to utilize geo-fencing to instruct my robot to clean the "living room and kitchen." Had I know this was a conscious design decision, I would have selected a device that supports geo-fencing. I love my Purei9, but this knowledge would have led to a different decision. This was a very short sighted decision.

• I agree!

• Thanks for voicing this feature request - that's a big part of why we have a community like this! And to clarify: It was a design decision not to include geo-fencing at launch, but the software design doesn't prevent us from adding it later, if enough users think that it's an important feature.

• You have one more customer which would love to have the "geo-fencing" or room function added. In so many cases we would like the robot to clean only the kitchen/living room/bedroom and the only way to do it is to grab the robot and either press "spot cleaning" or "start cleaning" and close the doors to lock the robot in a room.

ps: I believe spot cleaning function is so old style. The whole idea of having the robot is to automatize the entire experience with wifi, IFTTT etc. If an user needs to grab a robot and place somewhere, if feels like the same as using our normal vacuum cleaner.

• I agree with the other posters here, that would be a nice function.

• It would be great if this can draw a floor plan of my home and for minimum save it (just the floor plan, edges of room) and use it in app so I can check where pure i9 is going at the moment.

Maybe you can use this to room function or even if it erases it's memory between sessions I can check from map where exactly it has been and for example estimate if I need to restart cleaning session later. This is something I miss if I compare this to other models.

I compered a lot of models and I choose pure i9 because it seems to recognize obstacles better than others and hit them less often. Decision would been easier if this can draw floor plans for example like Xiami and Neato does.

• @vesas said:
    It would be great if this can draw a floor plan of my home and for minimum save it (just the floor plan, edges of room) and use it in app so I can check where pure i9 is going at the moment.

Maybe you can use this to room function or even if it erases it's memory between sessions I can check from map where exactly it has been and for example estimate if I need to restart cleaning session later. This is something I miss if I compare this to other models.

Hi,
    Maybe I misunderstand you, but that sounds like the map plotting function that we already have. In the app, you can see a map of where the robot currently is and where it has cleaned. And the latest 8 cleaning maps are saved in a history list, so you can see if it has missed anything. Is that enough to solve what you describe?

• @magnus_lindhe said:

@vesas said:
    It would be great if this can draw a floor plan of my home and for minimum save it (just the floor plan, edges of room) and use it in app so I can check where pure i9 is going at the moment.

Hi,
    Maybe I misunderstand you, but that sounds like the map plotting function that we already have. In the app, you can see a map of where the robot currently is and where it has cleaned. And the latest 8 cleaning maps are saved in a history list, so you can see if it has missed anything. Is that enough to solve what you describe?

Hi,

Thank you for your answer.

This map plotting function is good at the moment already. I mean that if I can see edges of the room, then I see exactly where robot has been. For example robot cleaned 2/3 of our lobby. The area looked ok from map plotting but when I came home I saw area where were dust left and robot havent been there. Area is like a rectangle so it was almost impossible to see missing part from current map plotting. Reason for robot missed that part might be that I cancelled cleaning too early when we had visitors coming and it failed to do second pass but anyway.

Maybe I will get used to check map plotting more accurately, but those room boundarys would make my life a little bit easier and hopefully this feature could be used for "geo-fencing" feature :wink:

This picture below is something I mean. Robot's path should not be so accurete as in picture, it could paint the area like it does now.

• Aha, I get it, thanks! Others have also commented that they would like to see the walls in the map, to make it easier to relate the cleaned area to the whole floor plan. We'll see if/when that addition makes it to the top of our priority list.

In the mean time, I've found that once the robot enters a room, it normally does a good job cleaning all the area it can reach, so I mainly use the history maps to see which rooms it got into, and which were blocked by toys or closed doors. Then I can make sure to clear the passage to that room the next time, so it gets cleaned.