Zones made as polygon

Currently, zones have to be rectangular which is far too limiting.

We need to ability to make a polygon.

My suggestion is to draw segments with each new segment being connected to the last automatically.

5 votes

Active · Last Updated

Comments

• apjapj Member ✭✭

This would be particularly welcome for the avoid zones.

• magnus_lindhemagnus_lindhe Member ✭✭

Thanks for your suggestion!

We've had long discussions about the shape of the zones and done several user tests with different methods of inputting them. The conclusion was that it quickly becomes too complicated on a small screen when we try to draw general polygons, especially when we need to steer the users away from drawing "illegal" polygons that self-overlap.

So we decided to go for simple rectangles in the first version, and let advanced users construct other shapes by using multiple rectangles. But we'll keep our eyes out for feature requests, and maybe there will be more alternative methods to define zones in the future!

• apjapj Member ✭✭

@magnus_lindhe said:

So we decided to go for simple rectangles in the first version, and let advanced users construct other shapes by using multiple rectangles. But we'll keep our eyes out for feature requests, and maybe there will be more alternative methods to define zones in the future!

Meanwhile I can understand your reluctance for smaller zones: The robot seems to undergo some orientation problems during its work and the "real time maps" in the app can sometimes be off by as much as a meter or two.
    I think this might be caused by the robot losing traction sometimes and getting an offset map-wise.

Smaller zones would create a false sense of security, since the robot seems to calculate its position from wheel movement. Any wheelspin hence will put it permanently off track.

• apjapj Member ✭✭

@magnus_lindhe said:

We've had long discussions about the shape of the zones ....

So we decided to go for simple rectangles in the first version, and let advanced users construct other shapes by using multiple rectangles.....

Interesting idea - however, I would very much like the ability to "collect" zones into a "room" so that i can take better advantage of multiple overlapping rectangular zones without having to select each and everyone.
    This would reduce screen-clutter too because only the "rooms" would be visible in the individual cleaning selection.
    Only the floorplanner would show the individual zones (and allow room-creation out of one to n zones)
    ok, this is maybe a bit "over the top" and would probably put off new users.