Non-cleaning mapping mode

Before we can assign zones, the robot must first create a map that covers most, if not all, of the area to be cleaned. Currently, this can be a very slow process because mapping can only be done while the robot is also cleaning. Cleaning drains the battery fast (even in ECO mode) which leads to long pauses for recharging. The need to stop and empty the dust bin can slow down the mapping process even more.

What I think we need is a dedicated “explorer” mode that does not involve any cleaning. Its only purpose would be to generate a comprehensive FloorPlanner map in the quickest, most energy-efficient way.

15 votes

Active · Last Updated

Comments

• apjapj Member

brilliant idea! especially since the new software release 40.17 allows for better "map alignment" which unfortunately can't be done without a complete re-mapping

• KromataKromata Member

Would love this feature, ive been trying to get a map for 1 month now.

• Dino53Dino53 Member
    edited December 2019

@ Kromata - thanks for supporting my request. I had similar problems, and in fact I still do not have a complete and accurate map of my apartment. However, I can successfully clean the whole apartment using zones. Here is how;

I first got the robot to map just the central, easily accessible area of the apartment, while ensuring it made limited intrusions into rooms that join onto the central area (by placing obstacles a little way inside each room). Then I defined a zone covering each room, but always overlapping with the central zone at some access point (eg. a doorway). Now if I tell the robot to clean that zone, it is able to find, enter and clean it completely, even though it does not have a detailed or permanent map of the room itself.

• osamsonosamson Member

I think it's a good idea.

In our house, purei9 needs to be charged once to clean the whole area.

In that case, it takes about 5 hours to clean.

However, there are not many opportunities to spend that much time.

• KromataKromata Member

@Dino53 said:
    @ Kromata - thanks for supporting my request. I had similar problems, and in fact I still do not have a complete and accurate map of my apartment. However, I can successfully clean the whole apartment using zones. Here is how;

I first got the robot to map just the central, easily accessible area of the apartment, while ensuring it made limited intrusions into rooms that join onto the central area (by placing obstacles a little way inside each room). Then I defined a zone covering each room, but always overlapping with the central zone at some access point (eg. a doorway). Now if I tell the robot to clean that zone, it is able to find, enter and clean it completely, even though it does not have a detailed or permanent map of the room itself.

Ive tryed this aswell, didnt work for me at all.

• KromataKromata Member
    edited December 2019

would be nice if you could "force" it to add rooms to floorplanner aswell, sometimes like magic it finds one of the bedrooms and clean it, next time it goes to the doorway and like naaah not today.

• ricklinricklin Member

Hi, I also think the explore mode is a great idea. It would be ideal to have a quick way to obtain the map (also, hopefully someway to update/refine the map afterward without the need to delete all zone settings)

• Dino53Dino53 Member

If you like this idea, please give the original post an "up vote". It might grab Electrolux's attention and increase the chances of them doing it. I mean, there are lots of good ideas and they need a basis to prioritize them.

• mrmegadethmrmegadeth Member ✭✭✭

You can force the vac to add new rooms.

Go review the how to in the app.

• KromataKromata Member

@mrmegadeth said:
    You can force the vac to add new rooms.
    Go review the how to in the app.

Cant find the information you mention, where can i read about this?

• KromataKromata Member

Thank you! Will try this

• magnus_lindhemagnus_lindhe Member ✭✭

Thanks for your comments! We don't have any exploration mode yet, but keep voting if you think that we should prioritize that in future releases.

Here are two tips to get complete FloorPlans with the current software (40.17):

• If you don't have the time to cover the whole house in a full cleaning, close off some parts (say room A) and run once. Then run again later, and close off room B, but leave A open and ensure that there is some overlap with the previous cleaning, such as a hallway. Then the FloorPlan will contain the union of both cleanings, including both A and B. Just don't name it or add any zones until the map is complete, because then it gets locked.
    • If you have a problem area where the robot gets stuck or cleans slowly, you can physically block roughly that area and make a FloorPlan for the rest. Then you can draw an AvoidZone outside the FloorPlan to tell the robot not to clean there, and you can also include some parts of the non-mapped area in a CleanZone, as long as the zone also contains a chunk of the FloorPlan, so the robot knows how to get there.

Happy cleaning!

• MartinKwarnmarkMartinKwarnmark Member, Administrator, Moderator admin

Good tips and tricks!
    Another thing to try is to move the charger in to a room that the robot has not found. Let it start from the charger and clean out from the room in to the already mapped area. When the app shows the grey map of your previously mapped area you can push return in the application and the the robot will join the new map to the old one. The grey map normally appears after two zones of cleaning in a known area.

Remember to not have any zones in the map you want to join to the new map.

• tribalinctribalinc Member

How about a non-locking discovery zone? If the i9 constantly fails to add a room to the map, draw a discovery zone which would be added to the map once cleaned.