No reliable protection from crashing

NoisiaNoisia Member

How to prevent this?

Comments

• WorkaWorka Member

I love my RX9 (German Version of PUREi9) but I've always wondered why a Robot that price does not have dedicated crash Sensors.

• vespamanvespaman Member

@Worka If you mean the typical IR sensors that other robots have, I really am glad they are not around on Pure I9, they simply do not work reliably on all floors (black floors and carpets) in my experience.

Having said that, the picture above looks horrible!
    @Noisia Can't you just glue a small "wall" at the edge?

• MartinKwarnmarkMartinKwarnmark Member, Administrator, Moderator admin
    edited October 2019

Hi Noisia,
    THat does not look fun.
    Could you help us understand more around the issue?

• Does it happen often?
    • Could we have some pictures from different directions?
    • It would be very helpful to get the log files right after it has happened. The logs are taken by connecting a mini USB cable to the contact under the dustbin and copying all the files from the drive that shows up on your computer. Please send the logs to [email protected]

Your help in understanding the above situation would be very appreciated.

• NoisiaNoisia Member

At this location it was the first time. It was a few days ago. So the logs will be useless? More pictures will follow. More often this happens. Same "abyss". A few cm to the right.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/GjyJgqYaUp8VFzNX9

• NoisiaNoisia Member

A wooden wall would do it. I'd fix it with screws. But this is not possible on stairways. Generally the robot schould not do that.

• WorkaWorka Member

Nice Video!

Maybe the Robot does not check if there is enough space behind that small step in front of the stairs, before climbing down.

Or does not see the small step.

But more important: The Robot should see the abys after (before would be better) climbing down the small step in front of the stairs. But when struggeling and after one wheel lost traction, the Robot seems to drive backwards. Does not look like a very smart behaviour near an abys.

• NiclasKNiclasK Member, Moderator admin

@Noisia Thanks for the video. It is very helpful to understand what is happening so we can adkust the algorithm. It would be great if you can send the logs too, it might be traces left in them.
    If it happens again please copy the logs and attach them to a post in this thread.

What version is your robot running?
    Can you measure the height between the staircase step and the tiled floor?

• NiclasKNiclasK Member, Moderator admin

@Noisia Can you also measure the depth of the brown wooden step?

• NoisiaNoisia Member

@MartinKwarnmark said:
    Hi Noisia,
    THat does not look fun.
    Could you help us understand more around the issue?

• Does it happen often?
    • Could we have some pictures from different directions?
    • It would be very helpful to get the log files right after it has happened. The logs are taken by connecting a mini USB cable to the contact under the dustbin and copying all the files from the drive that shows up on your computer. Please send the logs to [email protected]

Your help in understanding the above situation would be very appreciated.

I sent detail a couple of weeks ago. Did you receive them?