New Feature - Remote Control

Hello. I think it would be a great value for the customer if the robot could be remotly controlled with camera feed transfer to the cell phone - even if only for internal network/wifi usage. This would be an extremely fun use case for entire family with great opportunity for free marketing with people uploding their experiences on social netowrks.
Second option - difficult but helpful - would be a remote control via secure cloud. This would allow very simple (although very useful) house checks like: whether I have left an iron on? Have my neighbour flooded me again? Have my house had been broken into? etc.
While the first option would be relatively free to maintain (excluding R&D), the second could be maintained as a new stream of income via subscription fee.

1 votes

Active · Last Updated

Comments

• mrmegadethmrmegadeth Member ✭✭✭

It's not a camera in the classical sense. There is a video of what the bot sees on here somewhere.

Incidentally, LG does this with their 3D camera system and everyone hates it. It was hacked almost immediately and, well, lots of things got seen by strangers...

• WorkaWorka Member

A Remote Control Driving (Like RC Toy Cars) would still be useful, even without showing any Camera Images. My Robot is placed under my Bed. When I want to empty the dust container, I have to crawl under the bed to get it, and again to return it to the charger. (I know I could, start, wait for it to come out under the bed , stop it, grab it...)

With a Remote Control Option I would dock of and drive out under the bed.

After I emptied the container, I would put the robot next to the bed, drive back next to the charger and say "search for home".

Would be very helpfull.

• NiclasKNiclasK Member, Moderator admin

You can ask it to search for home already today by clicking the button with a house on it in the app. It works when cleaning and when it is not cleaning.

• apjapj Member

@Worka said:
    A Remote Control Driving (Like RC Toy Cars) would still be useful, even without showing any Camera Images. My Robot is placed under my Bed. When I want to empty the dust container, I have to crawl under the bed to get it, and again to return it to the charger. (I know I could, start, wait for it to come out under the bed , stop it, grab it...)

I too have placed the docking station out of sight under the sofa and am faced with the same issue; my "solution": I have designed a small "service" cleaning area in front of the sofa. the new firmware release 40.17 allows to directly start cleaning any zone(s) so I can pause it once it's within reach.
    A word of caution though: don't move it and especially don't turn it over or it will seek endlessly for the docking station!

• magnus_lindhemagnus_lindhe Member ✭✭

@apj said:

@Worka said:

I too have placed the docking station out of sight under the sofa and am faced with the same issue; my "solution": I have designed a small "service" cleaning area in front of the sofa. the new firmware release 40.17 allows to directly start cleaning any zone(s) so I can pause it once it's within reach.
    A word of caution though: don't move it and especially don't turn it over or it will seek endlessly for the docking station!

Good idea!!

Once you have emptied the dust bin, the robot can be disoriented as you describe if it has been lifted and handled. One way to solve that, is to press the Play button long enough (2-3 s) to get two beeps, which aborts the current cleaning and flushes the memory of the confused position. Then just press the Home button, and it will rotate on the spot, locate the charger and dock with it (if it's within sight).

• niemanieniemanie Member

When I read 'Remote Control', I think of two ideas.

1. Point out an area in the map, the robot goes to that specific area and preform a spot clean, and then return to it's charger.

2. A joystick for me to control where I want to robot to clean. Useful if I have multiple of spot areas I want to clean, or maybe I want to navigate it to an area that is difficult to reach, due to too many obstacles, narrow passageways etc.

• apjapj Member

@magnus_lindhe said:

Once you have emptied the dust bin, the robot can be disoriented as you describe if it has been lifted and handled. One way to solve that, is to press the Play button long enough (2-3 s) to get two beeps, which aborts the current cleaning and flushes the memory of the confused position. Then just press the Home button, and it will rotate on the spot, locate the charger and dock with it (if it's within sight).

Thank you for this valuable information! I like to periodically clean the glider pads and the brush roller which can only be done by turning over the robot.
    So, thanks to your suggestion, there's no more awkward sofa-moving in order to put the robot back on its dock. Just abort the cleaning and set it in front of the sofa facing the dock - voilà :)