Problems homing

I have an AEG rx9 to review and whilst the cleaning performance is very good, its got a problem trying to park in the base station, it's never actually succeeded, it just catches the bumper where the brush is every time, it then tried again lots of times, always making the same mistake, and not adapting it's parking behaviour.

Is there something I can do to fix this? Obviously not bring able to go back and recharge itself is a crucial part of its operation, and my review is going to be less than favourable if this isn't really something that's easily sorted. A £700 robot really needs to be able to park itself.

Firmware 38.7

Answers

• raahlbraahlb admin

Hi,
    Where is your charger located? Preferably it should be on hard-floor, not a carpet. If you only have wall-to-wall carpets, try switching which wall the charger is placed against - often there is a "main direction" of the carpet, which the robot slips in.

• Homing seems a bit better on the other side of the room, it took 3 attempts to home and did get there eventually. The will tell if it's robust.

It does feel like there is some room for improvement, I assume the bumper has sensors both sides, could it not learn from its previous parking failures, if it always comes in too far on the left, dial it back a notch in future...

• raahlbraahlb admin

Yes, we've been considering something like that. We're a bit too trusting of the laser sensor right now, which often is a problem if there's a carpet.