Roller Brush Stuck

My i9 has stopped working. Error message is "Roller brush is stuck", but cleaning did not help. I replaced the roller brush with a new on and still get the same message. I suspect that there is something caught in the brush drive but I do not see how to disassemble the unit to get to the drive area. Any suggestion on where I can find info on how to open the unit?

Comments

• raahlbraahlb admin

Hi,
    It is not recommended for you to open the unit yourself. You should send the unit in for service.

• I have the same problem, it is caused by the drive bearing getting fluff / hair around it, and overheating the bearing. Where can I get spares for the i9? I assume I need to replace the whole drive system for the roller, although the motor, drive shaft, and belts are ok.

• Hi,

As @raahlb said, it is not recommended to open the robot yourself. Send the robot for service.

• Well that's really helpful. Not. The unit is out of warranty, and for the last 40 years I have serviced electro-mechanical things.
    So, where can I get the spares I need?

• NiclasKNiclasK admin
    edited August 6

Hi,
    I talked to service and I think the part you need is https://shop.electrolux.se/c/vals-modul-brushroll/p/4060001379
    Please note that Electrolux can't give you any instructions on how to replace this part. Be careful to not move any parts that will invalidate the camera/laser calibration and make sure the electronics doesn't get damaged by ESD.

I saw your unit is out of warranty, but if others are reading this, the warranty will not be valid if you replace the parts yourself.

• Thanks for the information. I'll try to get the part.
    I am familiar with ESD protection protocols, and your comment about calibration is noted.

• Hi Guys,
    I've phoned Electrolux NZ and they told me I had to go through the website for parts. I've attempted to use the web page request form and the on-line chat facility but I'm being ignored. Can you do anything from that end?

• Sorted, parts ordered. It just took Electrolux NZ 4 hours to respond to E Mail and chat messages. Thanks for the part number.

• Part fitted and reassembled, software updated, all ok. Thanks for your help.
    The new software works better than the last, navigation is better and docking is better.

• Well done!
    Good to hear that the SW is worikng better for you.

• VimFuagoVimFuago
    edited September 14

Not holding out much hope in the UK, they can't even source regular maintenance parts (performance kit, filters brushes) , let alone service parts.

• @Marvins_Dad said:
    Part fitted and reassembled, software updated, all ok. Thanks for your help.
    The new software works better than the last, navigation is better and docking is better.

I have the same problem, how did you disassemble the robot? I can't find a way to get inside the robot.

//Mike

• edited September 24

@raukroland said:

I have the same problem, how did you disassemble the robot? I can't find a way to get inside the robot.

//Mike

Batteries out, front off, then I don't really remember the order, as there are many screws and hidden clips to split the main casing. If it was on the bench in front of me........ Superglue (Loctite 406) is your friend for when things go crack. Don't disturb any optical stuff, nor get Loctite 406 anywhere near the optics because it can fogg things. You need to take out any screws you find and look for hidden clips holding it together. Carefully prise things to work out what holds it together. You'll need either a small Torx driver or a flat screwdriver filed down to fit the internal screws. The part with the bearing that fails is the last thing you can get at when stripping this beastie down!

1 It strikes me that this is a design issue.

2 Parts need to be easier to get.

3 Wouldn't this be easy with an exploded parts list drawing or the service manuals on line. If Stihl, John Deere, Dyson, etc, can do it, why not Electrolux?