New software and new behaviour

MatkomaMatkoma
edited February 13 in General

Since the latest 2 updates my robot has started to work less then optimal, compared to what it used to do.

I have two concerns I would like to share and hopefully get some feedback ok.

  1. The cleaning map.
    Before this was a live update for me, I could see where the robot where and where it had been.

Now I am lucky to get a update every 10-30 minutes with progress, never a live map.

  1. Intelligence.
    My experience is that the robot has gotten dumber by the same rate as the updates.
    Today I found it going to the same location 15 times before I moved it back manually, during this period it had moved and run/bumped over its own chargin station with one side of the robot about 4 times, doing some kind of daredevil 1 wheeler during the "I dont know where I am any longer" period.
    Mind that this was at its "resume" cleaning session, so it had first gotten out and cleaned and should just resume it, no furniture moved or nothing.

Adding to this is that the pattern the robot is taking has changed, prior to the latest updates it normally cleaned in a "logic" pattern, more or less, room by room.
Now it can clean about 60-70% of the living room, only to move to the hallway, do 50%, then go back to living room.

«1

Comments

  • I have the same experience as you.
    When i bought my i9, summer of 2018, he was my best friend. Did everything he was supposed to do. After upgrades he started to behave like an old man, don't know where home is, cleaning the same spot for like 5 times. He used to clean the whole apartment in the past in 40 minutes, after upgrades it takes him over an hour... excluding charging. Over all it takes 40-45 minutes cleaning, charging 2 hours, and like 10 minutes for the rest of the apartment... as I said, before upgrades he did a great job, he did the rooms without charging.

    I have told my friends, in the past - Buy the Pure i9, that was before the upgrades. Now i would tell them - don't buy.

  • Since the December(?) update, my i9 has had a harder time with my floors. It gets lost and confused more than before. Sometimes I have seen it constantly banging its head into a chair for 5 minutes or so. Somehow he has scratched himself a little bit in the big "glass" in the middle. Could this be it, or is it the update.
    Still like it a lot, and hope the next update will bring him back into shape.

  • @AERSWE said:
    I have the same experience as you.
    When i bought my i9, summer of 2018, he was my best friend. Did everything he was supposed to do. After upgrades he started to behave like an old man, don't know where home is, cleaning the same spot for like 5 times. He used to clean the whole apartment in the past in 40 minutes, after upgrades it takes him over an hour... excluding charging. Over all it takes 40-45 minutes cleaning, charging 2 hours, and like 10 minutes for the rest of the apartment... as I said, before upgrades he did a great job, he did the rooms without charging.

    I have told my friends, in the past - Buy the Pure i9, that was before the upgrades. Now i would tell them - don't buy.

    Could not agree more.

    Cannot understand how a upgraded software can downgrade a good product to almost not functioning. At the moment I am not recomending this to my friends, rather go look at other products.

    Regarding the change in time could be due to batteries getting weaker.

  • @vespaman said:
    Since the December(?) update, my i9 has had a harder time with my floors. It gets lost and confused more than before. Sometimes I have seen it constantly banging its head into a chair for 5 minutes or so. Somehow he has scratched himself a little bit in the big "glass" in the middle. Could this be it, or is it the update.
    Still like it a lot, and hope the next update will bring him back into shape.

    I doubt that the scratch is causing these issues, I have 0 scratches and still it acts strange from time to time.

    Today I did a soft reboot (pressing play button for 8 seconds out of charging station) and did start a cleaning afterwards.
    Strange this is that it was actually less stupid this time, yes, it did have a different cleaning pattern then it used to have but it did not get so lost that it did not find its way "out" or "back".

    The main thing today was that it had quite some "thinking" time where it move a little bit, moved back, turned around, repeat, repeat, stand still, and after a while it started to clean again. This happend maybe 2-3 times during clean session so that can be ok I guess.

  • @Matkoma said:

    ...

    Today I did a soft reboot (pressing play button for 8 seconds out of charging station) and did start a cleaning afterwards.
    Strange this is that it was actually less stupid this time, yes, it did have a different cleaning pattern...

    I also noticed that my purei9 works well after an update or a soft reset, but then gets worse. (Not bad, only worse than before)

    Up to now I thought that was just imagination or coincidence.

  • I generally agree with the previous comments.
    Performance has degraded compared to a few months back.
    I cannot be specific, it is just a general feeling.

    • Live update lags
    • Cannot find home
    • Spins 20 cm in front of base station, cannot find it
    • Will not clean remaining areas after one single diffculty, gives up for the day

    But,
    when it works, it is great.
    Unfortunately it works well only about 1 of 5 days.

  • I can only comment based on my experience with i9 and other brands. If have problem, put the i9 in a small room and watch it clean, don’t need to clear the way. If your i9 has problem or buggy, it will show up. As the i9 does not keeps historical maps and obstacles, it will only work as it move according to situation day by day, that’s why you may observe hit and misses with days. But I guess it has some kind of residual matrix as it will move in the same way same distance each time in scheduled clean. Put the i9 is the worst corner so it will not miss it. If you have solid to floor table or a small pathway between two wall or cabinets, it may at time missed it. It cannot see light color smooth reflective surface very well but will still interpret as obstacle with bumper. It cannot see thin steel chair legs very well and may spend more time when the chairs are grouped together under the table. If your room is all dark and you have a bright light source thru the door, it may skip all the dark side of the room as if there is ghost. You can set up the i9 again if there are weird app problem. The i9 will not find its way if it has been moved a distance from last location during clean. It seemed that the charge station has no infra light, so i9 will not know it is there even if u in front, just dock it. Put the docking station is plain area, if there are thing beside it, it gets confused at time. If your floor is rough or have lots of grouts and the i9 rumbles a lot, it may not scan properly (my suspicion from observation).

    Hope my comments can help.

  • Same problem with mine, can not connect to it from the App, message is not connected.
    BUT the i9 does send messages to the phone?!
    Restart does not help.

  • Are there any representatives active here at all?

    I am amazed how bad the software has become.

    1 decent cleaning session was done, then it started to act weird again, move in a non logical pattern over rooms, after charging it had no clue to where it was the last time and started cleaning all over and eventually got stuck under my sofa.

    For real, I am about to sell this shit and buy something that at least cleans my appartment.

  • I have seen similar behaviour.
    Last week it totally stopped working.
    I contacted support ,
    and after one day, and two remainders,
    I finally received the emailed paperwork so I could send it in for service.

    Martin K, you really need to fix all this crap.
    We need a machine that works, and support that responds immediately.

  • @AndersJ said:
    I have seen similar behaviour.
    Last week it totally stopped working.
    I contacted support ,
    and after one day, and two remainders,
    I finally received the emailed paperwork so I could send it in for service.

    Martin K, you really need to fix all this crap.
    We need a machine that works, and support that responds immediately.

    Yupp to me this is beond bad. I could have expected something like this if I had choosen a cheaper robot. But I did not, I payed for what was supposed to be a premium robot.

    First 6 months has been super, always done what it should do and but now its dumber then a train.

    • Cannot resume cleaning
    • Gets lost
    • Cleans the same area 10 times
    • Runs into things as if the sensors are dead
    • Runs over things, things that is avoided otherwise- even its own base it charges into and do a wheele in the process.

    It should not be a work around where I have to reset it after each start and move it manually to another room to get it cleaned. This is not acceptable in any circumstance.

  • Hi,

    Sorry to hear that you have problems with your robot.

    Some info that would be good for us to know when trying to figure out why what is going on. It would be great if you can help.

    • Can you think of you have changed (like new carpets, moved the charging station etc.) anything in your home since the robot started to have problem?
    • Send us the log files. You can find a micro usb connector under the dustbin on the left side. Connect it to a computer and you should be able to copy the log files. Send the logs by e-mail: [email protected] and use this thread as a reference.
    • Can you take a screen shot of a cleaning map from the app and add areas that it has missed, where there are carpets and thresholds?

    Thanks!

  • Sorry about the lack of response.

    We did change the cleaning order a few releases back, not sure if it's the change you're speaking of - maybe closer to a year ago. Prior to the change, it would continue in one direction until it reached a dead-end, but then we changed it so it would clean only a few regions in a direction, until it had cleaned everything next to the starting position. The idea is that it should see the starting room more often, which would help it keep track of its location better. Obviously, this does not help for you.

    We might have to reconsider the change - though the problem is, how many have had the performance improved instead? People that are happy with the performance usually don't write on the forum.

  • You should also clean the metal pads on the charger and the underside of the robot. If it's dusty there can be connection issues, which causes the robot to abort the cleaning.

  • @raahlb said:
    You should also clean the metal pads on the charger and the underside of the robot. If it's dusty there can be connection issues, which causes the robot to abort the cleaning.

    True but they are clean. That should not be the case on why it gets lost after a full charge after returning home for charging.

  • @raahlb said:
    Sorry about the lack of response.

    We did change the cleaning order a few releases back, not sure if it's the change you're speaking of - maybe closer to a year ago. Prior to the change, it would continue in one direction until it reached a dead-end, but then we changed it so it would clean only a few regions in a direction, until it had cleaned everything next to the starting position. The idea is that it should see the starting room more often, which would help it keep track of its location better. Obviously, this does not help for you.

    We might have to reconsider the change - though the problem is, how many have had the performance improved instead? People that are happy with the performance usually don't write on the forum.

    Ok understand. I dont know what has caused this, if its that update you are speaking about or not. But as I have typed here before, I can see a drastic change in performance over the last 2-3 months or so, what was changed during the last update?

    Since that the following is trouble:
    1. Live update - map updates every 10-20 minutes. Prior this was almost live displayed.
    2. Does not finnish the room it is in before move to the next. Prior this was always the case.
    3. Gets lost after recharge. By that I meen that it has no problem navigating back to station but afterwards it has no idea what is left and right (not all the times).
    4. Cannot remember where it stopped cleaning, same as point 3.
    5. When it gets totally lost its like it is giving up on its sensors. Bumps into stuff rather hard, does not see its charging station and rather crashes over it etc etc.

    I will move the station to a more clear location (this has never been a issue before) and do a reset, will be more alert to how it behaves and will take the logs and see what happends over the days.

    Thanks for the responses

  • @NiclasK said:
    Hi,

    Sorry to hear that you have problems with your robot.

    Some info that would be good for us to know when trying to figure out why what is going on. It would be great if you can help.

    • Can you think of you have changed (like new carpets, moved the charging station etc.) anything in your home since the robot started to have problem?
    • Send us the log files. You can find a micro usb connector under the dustbin on the left side. Connect it to a computer and you should be able to copy the log files. Send the logs by e-mail: [email protected] and use this thread as a reference.
    • Can you take a screen shot of a cleaning map from the app and add areas that it has missed, where there are carpets and thresholds?

    Thanks!

    Posted some answers above here to raahlb.

    Nothing has changed, only the behaviour of the robot.

    Will do the above steps to gather more concrete information about the issue.

    Thanks for answering.

  • You are right, it doesn't explain it getting lost.

    10-20 minutes for live map update definitely is weird.
    Could you also record a video of when the robot is running into things, sending it to the e-mail address NiclasK mentioned? Maybe 20-30 s or so of the robot driving weirdly.

  • Well update testing day 1.

    I have moved the location of the station to a more "clear" area, I have also done a soft reboot of the robot.

    Todays cleaning session went ok, at one time it started to get lost. This was close to the station- about 30 minutes into the session, it started to bump into stuff, even its own station. Eventually it got "clear" and moved on, I have a small recording of the last 10-15 seconds where it was confused.

    The interesting part is that this was the only issue I noticed today, today it remembered where it was when it went to station for recharge.

    Also worth noting is that my "live update" issue looks to be based on the app/wifi.

    If I toggle my phone to datatraffic instead of wifi the update works as intended- only a minor delay in "exakt location" is present, say 20-30 seconds or so. When I toggle back to wifi the issue with updates to map starts all over- switch to data traffic once again solves the issue.

    Cannot say if this is due to my phone/wifi or app/wifi.

    Will start a cleaning session tomorrow and see what comes out of it.

  • Update testing day 2.

    Todays cleaning went fine, still have issues with app and map while on wifi-have to use mobile data to make it work, strange to say the least.

    Will do another cleaning session during the weekend to see if this impovement is not just temporary due to change of station location.

  • Hi Matkoma,
    sorry for your problems. The wifi issue really sounds wierd.
    Do you have an Iphone or an Android phone?

  • @blutteriblutt said:
    Hi Matkoma,
    sorry for your problems. The wifi issue really sounds wierd.
    Do you have an Iphone or an Android phone?

    Android version: 9 (CLT-L29 HUAWEI).
    App version: 6.02.1187

  • Thanks, we will look into the wifi problem and try to reproduce it.

  • @blutteriblutt said:
    Thanks, we will look into the wifi problem and try to reproduce it.

    Great stuff

  • I have the same issue with wifi. On wifi the map is basically static. On cellular will update but with a large lag.

  • @mrmegadeth @Matkoma to investigate the wifi issue it would help if you can send me log files from your robots. Under the dustbin there is a micro USB connector (on the left side). Connect the robot to a computer and a mass storage device should pop up. You can send the log files and send it to me as a private message here on the community.

  • raahlbraahlb admin

    You people with wifi issues - what routers are you running?

  • @raahlb said:
    You people with wifi issues - what routers are you running?

    Netgear R7800 Nighthawk X4S AC2600

  • Netgear Orbi

  • raahlbraahlb admin

    OK, thanks. Haven't heard of trouble with those devices previously.

    The live map always bounces through the cloud server, so the cell phone's mode should not directly affect the robot. Maybe the router might switch to some advanced mode that the cell phone supports/requests, causing trouble for the robot.

    I assume downloading stuff over the wifi to the phone works fine otherwise, running at proper high speeds?

    Both your devices seem to be high speed devices. Is it possible for you to try and disable 802.11ac, switching to 802.11n or older standards? I.e. going down to closer to 100-200 mbps speeds.

Sign In or Register to comment.